Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Primed and ready for paint...

Weather can sometimes be your friend or enemy when it comes to commissions...  I had knocked out the assembly and magnet work on the miniatures the day before so the plan was to get them primed and basecoated.  The weather did not cooperate as the temperature this morning was too low for priming.  I prefer to prime outdoors so this presented a problem.  I decided to work on another commission during the downtime as I always prefer to stay busy.  The temperature did rise to a level where I was comfortable priming outside without fear of a bad primer coat. 

Now a word on primer.  I prefer using a grey primer for most work I do.  I find grey to work out very well as it does not tint the basecoat like white and black can do.  I still do use white for schemes that either use white or red as a main color.  Black I find darkens colors too much and the blacklining effect can be done with an inkpen or careful painting.  When it comes to brands that is always up to you but I personally use Krylon Grey Primer as it is readily available, covers without killing detail, and is cheap to boot.  I have used brush-on primers and they are great in certain situations.  Brush-on versus spray is a personal choice and both are great so it comes down to you.  If you were wondering I use Reaper Master Series. 

Here is a picture of the primecoat and the beginnings of the basecoating.

1 comment:

  1. Koala's dropping in for orders :P Mammoth is started very nice!

    ReplyDelete