Thursday, October 17, 2013

More Protectors of Ulthuan

It has been quite a while since my last post... too long in fact.  Between Gencon and several commissions I have neglected to post an update so over the next few days expect quite a few updates.

One of my larger commissions to come across my desk lately has been a large High Elf force.  It has been broken down into more manageable commissions but this last batch was quite hefty.  Included in this batch of elves were 53, yes I said 53, Lothern Seaguard,  30 Swordmasters of Hoeth, and a Flamespyre Phoenix with rider options.  It was a daunting task to say the least as I personally think the new plastic Seaguard are very busy and unnecessarily so.  Personal feelings aside they turned out pretty well. 

The Swordmasters went very smoothly and I also converted the standard bearer to carry the Banner of the World Dragon. 

The Phoenix was my favorite of this commission and also the quickest miniature to paint.  After assembly I believe it took my around two and a half hours to paint.  It is a nice plastic kit and one I wouldn't mind painting again. 

3 comments:

  1. Very nice and clean painting job. Do you use washes to obtain the effect eg visible for the gold? Can you briefly explain how? I like it very much... They are not very visible but I think the only thing I do not like much are the faces... They seem too flat and I woul avoid eyes ... But overall very good job considering also the huge amount of guys you had to paint...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the gold I went with a old pot of GW Shining Gold as the base. Unless you undercoat the gold with a light brown color it will take two coats. I then give it a sephia wash and a light drybrush of Shining Gold once dry.

      As for the faces the client said he wanted them quick and basic so that is what I did. I did a standard basecoat and single highlight. The eyes I will admit coild have been better but again the client wanted speed over quality.

      Delete
  2. Seeing your excellent work I guessed that this was the case... Very good job an thanks for the advice

    ReplyDelete