Sunday, November 3, 2013

Supporting fire incoming...

Friday I finished the weapons teams and command figures.  Aside from some mold lines these figures were done pretty quickly.  Now these were all done on 60mm round bases including the running pose models.  This was done for ease of moving the team as well as to give the opponent an easier time in identifying it as a MMG team.  With these done and ready for primer so begins the infantry.   Sixteen body/arm sprues and nine weapons sprues.  That is 80 infantryman.  Fun times ahead.

So I had this asked by a few readers so I will go over how I approach large projects.  For me I use a few tricks to prevent the dreaded burnout.  To begin I clean, assemble, and prime all the models around the same time.   I personally really enjoy this part just as much as the actual painting.  With plastic kits it really allows you to add a bit of character to otherwise generic miniatures by changing things up during assembly.  After all that is done it is time to tackle the painting.  Here I work in batches.  I usually start with characters as these being individuals I put a lot of detail into their paint job.  Next I go with whatever I feel like painting.   Maybe a few squads then some weapon teams and so on.  Now I tend to take short breaks, usually weekends, to paint some of my own miniatures.  These I make sure are something different than the current miniatures I am painting as it breaks up the monotony associated with large projects.  It may seem like it slows the project down but actually quite the opposite as when you get burned out you slow down your painting.  One last bit of advice is make sure before you start a project you have extra primer and paint just in case.

Look out for my next update as I begin assembling the troops and outfitting them for battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment